fbpx

We would like to introduce you to Charlie Tanner, one of our Performing Arts students.

Charlie progressed from Frederick Gough School and joined John Leggott College in 2019 to study A Level Music, Religious Studies and History. Charlie is an aspiring Musician and has a passion for percussion, particularly the Drum Kit. We would like to take you through his JLC Music journey.

“Charlie has an enthusiasm and passion for Music that ensures that he grabs every learning opportunity with both hands. We have been preparing a wide variety of music in readiness for auditions and performance opportunities, playing everything from Jazz to Psychedelic Rock, recording tracks and writing out transcriptions. Charlie has filled the Music Department with his skilful drumming and he is an inspiration to other students who aspire to being performers.” Sally Russell, Music Tutor.

What is the Performing Arts Progression Programme?

The Performing Arts Progression Programme is part of our Extended Opportunities provision at John Leggott College under the Progression Pathway. This programme was set up to support students through their performance journey to achieve progression after college to elite universities in this industry and Conservatoires. Conservatoires provide performance-based higher education in music, drama, dance, screen and production courses.

Interviewer: What is your future career aim?

Charlie: I would like to play drums in the Army or become a session musician.

Interviewer: Where have you applied to study after JLC to support with this aim?

Charlie: Through UCAS I have applied for 5 options: some of these are Conservatoires; some are Universities. I have also done an additional application directly to one Conservatoire.

UCAS:

Leeds Conservatoire: Popular Music – audition pending (conservatoire)

Leeds Arts University: Popular Music – conditional offer received (conservatoire)

LIPA: Popular Music – audition pending, through to the second round

University of Hull: Popular Music – conditional offer received

University of Huddersfield: Popular Music – conditional offer received

Independent Application:

Royal Northern College of Music: Popular Music – got an audition but did not receive an offer.

Interviewer: Can you tell us about your application process?

Charlie: After completing my UCAS application and my independent application to the Royal Northern College of Music, I then received invitations to complete auditions; this consisted of some pre-recorded auditions, some live auditions, and some being multiple auditions. Normally I would have attended the venues in person to do the auditions, but unfortunately this is not possible this year.

Interviewer: How has the Performing Arts Progression Programme supported you with your progression aim?

Charlie: The programme has been supportive from application onwards really. I have been having 1-1 support with Sally, my Music tutor, on a weekly basis since October for my auditions which has been extremely helpful.

Interviewer: What extra-curricular activities do you take part in at college?

Charlie: I play the drums at college in all of the ensembles, I also play in a Rock Band at college and set that up with friends when I started JLC as part of the Extended Opportunities Programme.

Interviewer: How long have you been playing drums for?

Charlie: I have been playing drums for about 6.5 years now and have achieved a Distinction at Grade 8. I also play Bassoon at a Grade 5 level and Timpani (kettle drums) and other Percussion for enjoyment. I play in a first section Brass Band and have done for 1.5 years and I am part of a band called Balaclaver.  I am the bassist and drummer and we also have a guitarist and singer.

Interviewer: Thank you for taking the time to share your journey and we keep your fingers crossed for the remainder of your auditions.

Recent News

w/c 8th March – Student Update

Read More

View more

John Leggott College are a recognised TASS accredited institution

Read More

View more