This course is ideal for learners who would like a more hand on way of studying Psychology. Applied Psychology involves exploring different approaches in Psychology in order to understand human behaviour. You will have the opportunity to conduct research as part of coursework. You will gain an understanding of gender identity, aggression, how we process information, brain structure and the links to behaviour.
This qualification teaches research, analytical, communication and logical thinking skills which are transferable skills to a wide variety of courses and jobs.
You could complement your studies with enrichment activities including work experience or our Debating or Culture society, Sign Language or Preparing for Medicine by completing a MOOC.
Who is this course aimed at?
- Are interested in developing their practical and technical skills in a hands-on way
- Are able to complete exams, but like being able to back this up with coursework
- Are willing to work hard in and out of lessons to develop skills compatible with the course
- Like science and are open-minded and interested in the world around them
- Aim to work in practically any career where other people are involved
- Wish to progress in employment areas such as Teaching, Social Work, Counselling, Police or Medicine
What will you learn?
- Cognitive: The study of information processing.
- Biological: The study of genes, chemicals and brain structure affects behaviour.
- Learning Approach: Classical and operant conditioning.
- Social Approach: How we are influenced by others.
- Research Methods: Students will learn scientific process and techniques of data handling and analysis.
- Health Psychology: Stress and factors that impact on an individuals health.
- Forensic Psychology: Learners will look at criminal psychologist and their work with patients suffering with mental health illnesses.
BTEC Level Three
GCSE Grade 5 in English and Maths with an average GCSE points score of 4.5 or above.
How is the course assessed:
This course is assessed by coursework (50%) and exams (50%)