Art & Design BTEC Diploma
What will I learn?
The BTEC Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3) consists of 5 mandatory units plus optional units that provide for a total combination of 120 credits. You will learn about the techniques used and influences on artists, photographers, graphic and textile designers, while developing your own practical and artistic skills.
- Visual Recording in Art and Design
- Materials, Techniques and Processes in Art and Design
- Ideas and Concepts
- Communication Through Art and Design
- Contextual Influences in Art and Design
Example Optional Units:
- Developing and Realising Fine Art Ideas
- Print Making
- Painting in Fine Art
- Presenting Fine Art Work
- Application, Exploration and Realisation in Art and Design
Five GCSEs at grade 4 or above, preferably including Art, Graphics and English at grade 4. If you haven’t studied Art or Graphics you will need a good portfolio containing a variety of media and there will be a summer task set.
GCSE Average 3.2 or above.
How long will it take to qualify?
How will I be assessed?
The course has no formal examinations, so units will be assessed by the completion of appropriate coursework. Students will need to work to set deadlines in order to be successful on this course.
Additional Learning Opportunities
There will be opportunities to visit art galleries and other cultural events throughout the year, and extra support is available through revision and twilight sessions. In Year 2, you can join the Creative Arts Academy to build your portfolio and work towards an extra qualification: AS Extended Project
Who is this course aimed at?
The BTEC Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3) will be attractive to students who:
- are interested in a career in the Creative Arts or related areas
- wish to study a wide range of Art specialisms, e.g. painting, drawing, life drawing, printmaking, sculpture, photography, graphic design and textiles
- wish to take a course where they are assessed entirely by coursework
You could gain entry onto a BTEC Foundation Course in Art and Design, which leads on to degree courses in the visual arts and applied design subjects. If you achieve top marks you could move directly onto a visual arts degree course.
- BTEC Level 3
- Art & Design
- 2 Years