This course is ideal for students who have an interest in the eSports industry. The eSports industry is projected to generate revenues of $1.1 billion in 2020, a year-on-year growth of +16% with the total eSports audience set to rise 11.7% to 495M individuals according to Newzoo. This is an exciting new course that develops understanding of this rapidly growing industry and help prepare students for a gaming related career. On this qualification, students will learn about the eSports industry, gaming skills, strategies and analysis, developing an eSports team and brand as well as the health, wellbeing and fitness requirements to maintain a career in this highly competitive industry.
Students will also be involved in the College Esports team ‘JLC Steel’ and competitive gaming. The team currently plays in the British Esports Championships organised by the British Esports Association for schools and colleges. We have teams competing in the Rocket League, Overwatch and League of Legends national tournaments and there are opportunities for students to setup their own teams for a variety of competitive games and tournaments as part of an enrichment activity.
There will also be opportunities to take part in college trips to EGX in London and Insomnia Gaming Festival at the NEC in Birmingham.
Click here for our dedicated curriculum intent.
Who is this course aimed at?
This course is aimed at students who:
- Are interested in a career in Esports such as a player, coach, streamer, analyst or event organiser/broadcaster
- Are interested in a creative career such as social media, marketing, promotion or content editor
- Have an interest in the esports industry and competitive gaming.
What will you learn?
This course is assessed by coursework and the course is made up of four mandatory units:
- Unit 1: Introduction to Esports
- Unit 2: Esports Skills, Strategies and Analysis
- Unit 3: Enterprise and Entrepreneurship in the Esports Industry
- Unit 4: Health, Wellbeing and Fitness for Esports Players
What skills will you develop?
Skills students will develop on this course include:
- Gaming Skills and Strategies
- (Digital) Literacy
There are a variety of different progression routes you can follow with this course. This can include different pathways to achieve numerous careers through Higher Education, Apprenticeships or directly into Employment. Here are some progression routes:
- E-Sports Professional
- TV/Film Producer
- Games Designer
- Media Researcher
- Promotions Manager
- Media Analyst
- Web Designer
- Social Media Content Producer
5 GCSES at grade 4 including GCSE English
How is the course assessed:
This course is 100% assessed by practical projects and coursework.