Health Care Cadets BTEC HNC / HND Health and Social Care
What will I learn?
The BTEC Higher National Certificate / Diploma provides specialist vocational learning at levels 4 and 5, reflecting the requirements of professional organisations and meeting the National Occupational Standards for the Health and Social Care Sectors.
Unit 1 Communication in Health & Social Care
Unit 2 Principles of Health & Social Care Practice
Unit 3 Health and Safety in the Health & Social Care workplace
Unit 4 Personal & Professional Development in Health & Social Care
Unit 5 Working in Partnership in Health and Social Care
Unit 6 Research Project
Unit 8 Sociological Context of Health and Social Care
Unit 9 Empowering Users of Health and Social Care Services
Unit 10 Safeguarding in Health and Social Care
Unit 11 The Role of Public Health in Health & Social Care
Unit 12 Physiological Principles for Health & Social Care
Unit 16 Understanding Specific Needs in Health & Social Care
Unit 18 Complementary Therapies
Unit 20 Supporting Independent Living
Unit 28 Work Based Experience
Unit 29 Health Promotion
* Please note that the optional units are subject to change depending upon NHS requirements.
This course has a strong vocational element – three days a week will be spent working within a Health or Social Care Setting. You will be working alongside health care professionals in the NHS or other relevant setting. If you are already employed in the Sector, you do not require a work placement.
• Level 3 qualification in a related subject (BTEC Level 3 in Health / Science subject / Access to Higher Education Course)
• At least 5 GCSEs at grades C or above, including English Language, Maths and Science (A BTEC L2 in Science at Merit or above will be considered as an alternative to GCSE Science)
• Successful at interview / recruitment event
How long will it take to qualify?
1 Year | 2 Years
How will I be assessed?
Assessment is through coursework (internally assessed) which is marked by course tutors and moderated by the exam board. A variety of assessment methods will be used such as Professional Discussions, Critical Reflections and Assignments. Much of the evidence presented will be related to experience in practice.
Additional Learning Opportunities
You will complete a corporate induction and health care training as part of your work experience.
Who is this course aimed at?
• are learners with Level 3 qualifications, wanting to progress to Higher Education following a vocational route
• have a definite career aim and wish to work within the Health or Social Care Sector
• are already employed in the health care sector and wish to undertake further study and professional development
• who enjoy working with others
• have determination and drive to meet this challenging course
• wish to gain considerable experience working within the Care sector
• would value the work experience and training offered by the NHS / Local Council / Social Services as part of this course
• would like to gain valuable experience to secure employment within the health care sector
You will have the skills, knowledge and appropriate training to work in the Health Sector. The course is most suitable for University entry into health professional courses such as Nursing, Midwifery, Radiography, Occupational Therapy, Operating Department Practitioner and Paramedic Science.
- BTEC Level 4/5
- Health Care
- 1 Year
- 2 Years