This course is ideal for learners who enjoy Science and Maths and are considering a career in a STEM field. Throughout the course learnrrs will look at many different areas, from Astrophysics to Particle Physics and everything in between.
Would you like to know the answer to; “What is the ultimate fate of the universe?”
Then this course is for you.
Who is this course aimed at?
This course is aimed at students who:
- Would like to progress on to a STEM based career
- Would like to progress on to study Physics or another STEM based subject at university
- Who enjoy problem solving and can work logically
- Who are interested in how the Universe works from the nano-scale physics of particles and quantum effects to immeasurably large scales involved in cosmological physics
- Who enjoy using mathematical skills to approach a problem
What will you learn?
This course is assessed by exams. The Units are:
- Mechanics: Forces, motion, energy and the links between them.
- Electrical Circuits: A fundamental understanding of how circuits work.
- Materials Science: Aerodynamics, fluid flow and the behaviour of materials under tension and compression.
- Waves: Standing waves, Refraction, Polarisation and many more wave properties.
- Nature of Light: Wave-particle duality and the strange world of quantum physics.
- Further Mechanics: Circular motion and momentum.
- Fields: Electric, Magnetic and Gravitational fields.
- Nuclear and Particle Physics: The physics of the fundamental building blocks of matter.
- Thermodynamics: Heating and cooling of materials.
- Astrophysics: Interstellar measurements, dark matter and the fate of the universe.
- Radioactivity: Radioactive decay, fission and fusion.
- Vibrations: Simple harmonic motion and oscillating system.
GCSE Grade 6 in Science and Maths with an average points score of 5.7 or above.
How is the course assessed:
This course is assessed by exams.