The John Leggott College Corporation ,(or Governing Body, as it is also known) plays a crucial and varied role in contributing to the success of the College. Over the years, Governors have strived to forge positive relationships with the staff, students, parents and members of the wider community. The Corporation is responsible for a whole host of decisions and activities, details of which can be found within this section of the website. If you are interested further in the work of the Corporation then please contact our Clerk Becky Robinson.
Members of the Corporation and the Clerk are entitled to attend every meeting of the Corporation including committees. If someone wishes to attend a meeting who is not a member of the Clerk then this shall be decided by the Corporation.
The roles and responsibilities of the Corporation are many and varied. However, legally the main roles and responsibilities (as determined by the Instruments and Articles) are summarised as:
- The determination and periodic review of the educational character and mission of the institution and for the oversight of its activities;
- Approving the quality strategy of the institution;
- The effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation and for safeguarding their assets;
- Approving annual estimates of income and expenditure;
- The appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the holders of senior posts and the Clerk including, where the Clerk is, or is to be appointed as a member of staff, the Clerk’s appointment, grading, suspension, dismissal and determination of pay in the capacity of a member of staff;
- Setting a framework for the pay and conditions of service of all other staff.
A copy of the Instruments and Articles of Government are available here.
Other areas that are considered by the Corporation include:
- Monitoring and evaluating the College activities and services;
- Strategic planning of long term issues as well as the short and medium term involvement in the recruitment of other staff as well as senior post holders and the Clerk;
- Promoting the college;
- Assessing the effectiveness of the Corporation (self assessment);
- Ensuring compliance with legislation and policies adopted by the Corporation.
In order to ensure that full consideration is given to every decision and that the workload is manageable a number of committees have been set up. Details can be found on the committee link.
Contact with any member of the Corporation must be made through the Clerk, Becky Robinson.
- Leon Riley - Principal
- Gareth Harle - Staff Member
- Alex Douglas - Co-opted Member
- Paul Townsley - External Member
- Juanid Aslam - External Member
- Simon Driver - External Member
- John Fitzgerald - External Member
- Dave Harness - External Member
- Sylvia Hotchin - External Member
- Ann Moore - External Member
- Andrew Pascoe - External Member
- Paul Raistrick - External Member
- C.Stone - Student Member
- Y.Nawaz - Student Member
The Clerk to the Corporation; John Leggott College is Becky Robinson
Phone: 01724 407061
Post: Clerk to the Corporation, John Leggott College , Scunthorpe, DN17 1DS
- The Audit Search and Governance;
- Financial Management;
- Quality Assurance;
- Committee Structure December 2019.