This course is ideal for students who are interested in studying science but do not wish to study a separate A Level Science qualification.
This course can be taken as a BTEC Extended Certificate (1 A Level equivalent) or a BTEC Diploma (2 A Level Equivalent) so there is something to suit each learner’s choice of study programme.
Who is this course aimed at?
This course is aimed at students who:
- Would like to progress to Higher Education to study Science or a Health related field
- Would like to gain a broad understanding of science
- Would like to take a course that is assessed entirely by coursework
- Have a strong interest in the work of scientist in a range of different fields
What will you learn?
This course is assessed by coursework and exams. All units taken count towards the final grade that is awarded.
Core Units are:
BTEC Extended Certificate (1 A Level equivalent):
- Principles and Applications of Science 1
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills
BTEC Diploma (2 A Level equivalent):
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application
- Principles and Applications of Science 2
- Investigative Project
Optional Units include:
- Physiology of Body Systems
- Biochemistry and Biochemical Techniques
- Genetics and Genetic Engineering
BTEC Level Three
GCSE Grade 5 in Science, Maths and with an average points score of 4 or above.
How is the course assessed:
This course is assessed by coursework and exams.