This course is ideal for learners who are interested in a career in the Creative Arts or related areas. Students will study a wide range of art specialisms including painting, drawing, life drawing, printmaking, sculpture, photography, graphic design and textiles.
There will be opportunities to visit art galleries and other cultural events throughout the year, and extra support is available through revision and twilight sessions. In Year 2, you can join the Creative Arts Academy to build your portfolio and work towards an extra qualification: AS Extended Project
To enrol on this course, learners ideally will have studied an Art based subject and will have a good portfolio containing a variety of work alongside the summer task.
Click here for our dedicated curriculum intent.
Who is this course aimed at?
This course is aimed at students who:
- Are interested in a career in the Creative Arts or related areas
- Wish to study a wide range of Art specialisms, e.g. painting, drawing, life drawing, printmaking, sculpture, photography, graphic design and textiles
- Wish to take a course where they are assessed entirely by coursework
- Wish to progress on to an Art based subject at university
- Students could gain entry onto a BTEC Foundation Course in Art and Design, which leads on to degree courses in the visual arts and applied design subjects
What will you learn?
This course is assessed by coursework. Core units:
- Visual Recording in Art and Design
- Materials, Techniques and Processes in Art and Design
- Ideas and Concepts
- Communication Through Art and Design
- Contextual Influences in Art and Design
Example Optional Units:
- Developing and Realising Fine Art Ideas
- Print Making
- Painting in Fine Art
- Presenting Fine Art Work
- Application, Exploration and Realisation in Art and Design
What skills will you develop?
There are a variety of different progression routes you can follow with this course. This can include different pathways to achieve numerous careers through Higher Education, Apprenticeships or directly into Employment. Here are some progression routes:
- Art Director
- Web Designer
- Art Direction
- Jewellery Design
- Ceramic Design
- Fine Art
- Art History
- Commercial Art
BTEC Level Three
GCSE Grade 4 in English with an average points score of 4 or above.
How is the course assessed:
This course is assessed by coursework.
I have been given the opportunity in Art to explore an area of interest to me. This has allowed me to try new experiences.