This course is ideal for learners who have a strong interest in all aspects of photography and digital imagery. Students will have the opportunity to work creatively with 35mm black and white film, digital capture and image editing and manipulation. Students will learn about image analysis and evaluation, critical understanding of photography and its uses of new image specification which embraces emerging technology.
There will be opportunities to visit art galleries and other cultural events and you may have the opportunity to enter your work into exhibitions.
Click here for our dedicated curriculum intent.
Who is this course aimed at?
This course is aimed at students who:
- Have an interest in lens-based media
- Would like to progress onto the ABC Art Foundation Course at JLC
- Are interested in working creatively with 35mm black and white film, digital capture and image editing/manipulation
- Are interested in understanding and analysing contemporary images
- Would like to progress in a career in commercial photography, photojournalism, portrait photography, film and television or teaching
What will you learn?
This course is assessed by personal investigation (60%) and an exam (40%). The Units are:
- How to use a 35mm manual SLR camera
- Black and white photography skills
- Studio photography
- How to support your ideas through image analysis and evaluation
- Critical understanding of photography and its uses
- How to mount and present your images
- Practical work where students build upon their previous experience
- The use of colour photography and digital imaging
What skills will you develop?
GCSE Grade 4 in English with an average points score of 3.2 or above with an interest in the subject.
How is the course assessed:
This course is assessed by personal investigation and an exam.