This course is ideal for learners who are 16 years old or over and want to develop their skills in preparation for employment in the Sport and Physical Activity sector. This qualification is not just about being able to play sport or deal with elite athletes; employers need people who are able to lead sports and physical activities safely, work with the general public in providing sport and physical activity opportunities and help to promote physically active lifestyles.
Therefore, this qualification will provide learners with the skills, knowledge and understanding to progress into employment in the sport and physical activity sector either through an apprenticeship or directly into work.
This qualification can lead to Advanced Level apprenticeships in Coaching, Leisure Management and Exercise and Fitness or to job roles such as Fitness Instructor, Activity Leader or a Leisure/Recreation Assistant. It could also provide a route into Higher Education on a sport-related programme such as Sport and Physical Education, Sport Science, Sport Coaching and Development or Sport and Leisure Management.
Students will also complete the Sport Leader Award. Students will look at leading their own sessions alongside physical readiness. This qualification also carries UCAS points and allows you to develop the communication and organisational skills needed to be an effective leader.
This course is delivered by OCR and can be taken as a Technical Extended Certificate (*) Technical Diploma (**) or as a Technical Extended Diploma (***), so there is something to suit each learner’s choice of study programme. For further course information head over to OCR.
Who is this course aimed at?
This course is aimed at students who:
- Wish to progress on to a sport-related degree course, or a career in sport (such as coaching or teaching)
- Have an interest and practical competence in sport
- Would like to explore different methods to analyse and improve sports performance
- Would like to take a course where assessment is mainly by coursework
- Would like to go directly into employment in the sport, leisure and recreation sector
What will you learn?
All units count towards the final grade that is awarded. Core Units are:
- Body systems and the effects of physical activity Externally Assessed
- Sports coaching and activity leadership Internally Assessed
- Sports organisation and development Externally Assessed
BTEC Level Three
GCSE Grade 4 in English and Science with an average points score of 3.2 or above.
How is the course assessed:
This course is assessed through practical activities and written assignments.