This course is ideal for learners who have a genuine love and appreciation for Dance across a range of styles and disciplines. The course is highly practical and is taught in a professional setting in a purpose-built and fully equipped dance studio.
Students will have the opportunity to showcase their skill-set, progressing into industry based work in the future. As part of the course students will learn about opportunities in Performing Arts, choreography and performance skills.
Students will have the opportunity to go on theatre visits to see live performance and participate in workshops delivered by professional companies.
From this course you will achieve 1.5 equivalent of an A Level.
Click here for our dedicated curriculum intent.
Who is this course aimed at?
This course is aimed at students who:
- Have a genuine interest in all aspects of dance
- Enjoy seeing live dance theatre, and discussing it
- Enjoy performing and choreographing
What will you learn?
This course is assessed by coursework and practicals. The Units are:
- Unit 1: Exploring Performance Styles Students will have opportunities to develop their skill set and technical proficiency in a variety of dance styles.
- Unit 2: Creating Performance material, exploring choreographic methods and techniques so students will be able to bring their own creative ideas to life!
- Unit 3: Performing & exploring the art of performance.
What skills will you develop?
Skills students will develop on this course include:
- Analysing and evaluating personal development and the performing arts industry. Developing live performance ideas.
- Creative decision making and problem solving. Professional rehearsal behaviours
- Time management/ Meeting deadlines
- Literacy and oracy Communication skills
There are a variety of different progression routes you can follow with this course. This can include different pathways to achieve numerous careers through Higher Education, Apprenticeships or directly into Employment. Here are some progression routes:
- Musical Theatre
- Theatre Design
- Performing Arts Therapy
- Stage Management
GCSE Dance at Grade 4 or 5 in contemporary, modern, ballet or jazz, GCSE English at Grade 5 with an average GCSE score of 4 or above.
How is the course assessed:
This course is assessed by coursework and practicals.